Apache2 +openldap error

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Jul 1 03:00:45 PDT 2007

On Jul 1, 2007, at 02:52, Samuel V.Green III wrote:

> Upon issuing a sudo port installed I get:
>
> apr-util @1.2.8_2 (active)
> ......,
> openldap @2.3.35_0 (active)
> .....,
>

> Upon issuing sudo port install apache2 + openldap I get :
>
> error: #error mod_authnz_ldap requires APR-util to have LDAP
> support built in. To fix add --with-ldap to ./configure
>
> Reading this I recognized that I DID NOT build the APR-util with
> the +openldap option.
> I then did an uninstall of apache2 as well as php5 to correct this
> error.
> I'm now trying again to get Apache2 to build with openldap.
>
> Can someone point me to the documentation in the MacPorts Wiki or
> whatever that would have
> prevented me from "the long route?"

If you did not yet have apr-util installed, and installed apache2
+openldap, then apr-util would also get installed with +openldap, and
things should have just worked. However, if you already had apr-util
installed, it would not be reinstalled, even if it did not have the
"right" set of variants.

Portfiles can only depend on another port being installed, not on a
particular variant of another port being installed. This is ticket #126.

Once you received the error from apache2 that explained that apr-util
needed to be built with ldap support, the solution was to uninstall
the apr-util you already had (sudo port -f uninstall apr-util) and
reinstall it with the openldap variant (sudo port install apr-util
+openldap). Then apache2 should install properly.