Is my MacPorts really sync-ing?

paul beard paulbeard at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 15:36:08 PDT 2007

On 7/5/07, Mark Hattam <mark at dxradio.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> I have MacPorts 1.4.2 on OSX 10.4.10
>
> Whenever I've done a port sync recently (and I do it most days), I
> seem to be downloading the whole heirarchy every time, and none of my
> ports are outdated when I do a port outdated. I used to just get a
> listing of the ports that had changed when I did a sudo port -d
> selfupdate, I can't believe that everything is updated every day.
> Maybe it is subtly changing every day, but it just seems to be the
> same long list every day ...

It's not that everything changes every day when you see that list: those are
just the things that get checked to see if they've changed, as far as I
know.
I just did "port -v sync" and here's what I found.

I get the same list you saw, then these filenames:

aqua/Growl/files/patch-Growl.xcodeproj__project.pbxproj.i386

aqua/Growl/files/patch-Growl.xcodeproj__project.pbxproj.powerpc

aqua/Growl/files/patch-Makefile

databases/mysql5/Portfile

databases/mysql5/files/patch-mysys-base64.c.diff

databases/sqlite3/Portfile

databases/sqlite3/files/patch-Makefile.in

devel/dialog/Portfile

devel/libsdl/Portfile

devel/libsdl/files/patch-AudioFilePlayer.h

devel/libsdl/files/patch-SDL_coreaudio.c

editors/vim-app/Portfile

editors/vim-app/files/patchlist

editors/vim/Portfile

editors/vim/files/patchlist

graphics/cairo/Portfile

lang/yasm/Portfile

print/freetype/Portfile

print/gutenprint/Portfile

python/py-kid/Portfile

python/py-yum-metadata-parser/Portfile

sysutils/repoview/Portfile

sysutils/repoview/files/patch-repoview.py

sysutils/rpm/Portfile

sysutils/rpm/files/patch-configure

sysutils/rpm/files/patch-macros.in

textproc/libmrss/Portfile

textproc/libnxml/Portfile

deleting textproc/libmrss/files/patch-src-mrss_parser.c

deleting directory textproc/libmrss/files

deleting databases/mysql5/files/patch-mysys-base64.c

so I got some new files, some instructions were run, then this summary:

sent 10053 bytes  received 290465 bytes  2931.88 bytes/sec

total size is 14699737  speedup is 48.91

I sent received more than I sent, so there is some new stuff to be reviewed
with "port outdated."

I think selfupdate with the debug flag is less useful than sync with the
verbose flag.

--
Paul Beard / www.paulbeard.org/
<paulbeard at gmail.com/paulbeard at mac.com>