Is my MacPorts really sync-ing?

Denis Bueno denbuen at sandia.gov
Thu Jul 5 17:03:22 PDT 2007

On 07/05/2007 16:14, "Mark Hattam" <mark at dxradio.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Whenever I've done a port sync recently (and I do it most days), I
> seem to be downloading the whole heirarchy every time, and none of my
> ports are outdated when I do a port outdated. I used to just get a
> listing of the ports that had changed when I did a sudo port -d
> selfupdate, I can't believe that everything is updated every day.
> Maybe it is subtly changing every day, but it just seems to be the
> same long list every day ...

Consider this:

    $ denbuen[509] > sudo port -d sync

    [ lots of output, lots of packages seemingly updated ]

    $ denbuen[510] > sudo port install erlang
    --->  Activating erlang R11B-5_0
    --->  Cleaning erlang
    $ denbuen[511] > sudo port -d sync
    DEBUG: Synchronizing dports tree(s)
    Synchronizing from rsync://rsync.darwinports.org/dpupdate/dports
    receiving file list ... done
    lang/erlang/

    sent 77 bytes  received 268885 bytes  28311.79 bytes/sec
    total size is 14699737  speedup is 54.65
    $ denbuen[512] >

Note that I had the latest erlang before doing that `sudo port install
erlang`.  So presumably many port operations cause rsync to pull an update.

Probably any time you upgrade, activate, or install a package (or any
dependency), you will see an rsync update.

-Denis