Is my MacPorts really sync-ing?

Mark Hattam mark at dxradio.demon.co.uk
Thu Jul 5 17:34:39 PDT 2007

"selfupdate" is the command shown in the Wiki
http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/UsingMacPortsQuickStart

and the text there says it's for grabbing the latest PortFiles.

i thought that the number after the underscore on the end of the port
name showed the version of the Portfile ... so even if the version of
the software hadn't changed, a change in the Portfile and perhaps
important things about the way it's set up and installed were
reflected by a incrementing number, and these were shown up by port
outdated.

For instance
   freetype @2.3.4_0
   freetype @2.3.4_1
   freetype @2.3.5_0 (active)

So are portfile changes no longer reflected in this way? Or is there
a different port command to show them up?

Mark