UpdatePortPlease!

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jul 5 21:02:20 PDT 2007

Michèle, thank you for your response. I'm Cc'ing the macports-users
mailing list again to try to direct the discussion back there.

On Jul 5, 2007, at 20:52, Michèle Garoche wrote:

> Le 5 juil. 2007 à 23:46, Ryan Schmidt a écrit :
>
>> On Jul 5, 2007, at 15:56, Mack Johnson wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, could someone please update "bluefish-1.0.7" thank you.
>>
>> That would typically be the maintainer's job. I'm Cc'ing the
>> bluefish maintainer on this email.
>
> I'm sorry, but I'm not the maintainer of the bluefish macport. I
> was only mentionned by the previous maintainer, because I shared
> the patches made for the Fink port with him.
>
> Actually, there seems to be no more maintainer for the bluefish
> macport. There is also no more Fink port maintainer and French
> translator for bluefish, as I have no more time for both jobs.

Well, you were made a comaintainer of bluefish in December 2005:

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/changeset/15530

And the other maintainer dropped maintainership of most (all?) of his
ports in March 2006:

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/changeset/17264

Leaving you as the only maintainer of bluefish. But if you don't have
time to maintain it and did not want to be its maintainer, then I'll
set it to nomaintainer.

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/changeset/26756

> Here a recent reply about the same request:
>
> <quote>
>> Le 3 juil. 2007 à 01:06, Malcolm Fitzgerald a écrit :
>>> Hi Michele,
>>>
>>> I've just downloaded the source code for bluefish v1.0.7 and
>>> compiled it. No alterations or special configuration required on
>>> my iBook PPC G3 600MHz OSX10.3.9
>>>
>>> I wonder if it can be included in MacPorts?
>>
>> Well, as you want.
>>
>> What I can say about it after thorough testing, is that it is has
>> critical bugs, leading to data loss; that's why I  refused to port
>> it to Fink. Example: try to open in two different instances of
>> bluefish the same file and change one of them. Or try to open two
>> windows in the same instance of bluefish, load the same file in
>> them, and make changes in one of it. Very weird for translators
>> job. Etc... Play extensively with plugins, images, remote
>> connection and you will see what I mean.
>>
>> Moreover, if you dare to inspect the configuration files in depth,
>> you will find that instead of using standard process, it reinvents
>> the wheel and make drunky-man (to say it mildy) assumption of
>> where libraries or binaries are.
>>
>> And last the UI, though completely internationalized, does not
>> load properly when using non English system. Just to give an
>> example: about screen, thus leading to ignore translators credits,
>> that is not respecting the licence. Severe bug to me.

All of these problems you mentioned -- have they just appeared in
bluefish 1.0.6 or 1.0.7? or do they exist in 1.0.5 too? If these
problems just appeared in recent versions, then sure, that would be a
reason that we should not update the port.

>> You may think I'm too restrictive, but for me a good-to-be-ported
>> software is not only one which compiles (that's a minimal
>> requirement, is not it?), but also one which runs correctly under
>> any system configuration.
>>
>> If you look for alternative, screem is far better. Perhaps not so
>> polished, but at least it does not crash every five minutes. It
>> needs some tweakings in configuration files from cvs, but nothing
>> difficult.
>>
>> Also tea is interesting as having special features I've never
>> encountered in any software. It needs some rewriting in graphics
>> parts, but nothing especially difficult.
> </quote>
>
> For me the latest stable and good running version of bluefish was
> 1.0.5, more recent versions are too buggy for my taste. Obviously,
> that should not impede anybody other than me to port it to MacPort
> and why not to Fink while at it if so desired :-)

Thank you, Michèle, for the detailed explanation. Though I'll admit
I'm not reading it very closely since I don't even know what bluefish
is; I was just responding to a request on the mailing list to get the
port updated, and attempted to forward it on to the responsible party.

So, Mack: is there a specific reason why you need bluefish 1.0.7, or
would 1.0.5 be enough? Or have you already tried 1.0.7 and found it
to work properly?