Draft of a minimalist MacPorts Guide

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Thu Jul 5 23:34:57 PDT 2007

	Hi Mark!

	I've only managed to skim over your draft but I think it seems
pretty good to begin with, kudos!

	Even though the existing guide is pretty outdated in some aspects, I
wouldn't know where to stand between this draft of yours and our
existing sources (there is some good material there!), haven't really
had the time to do any serious comparisons. I'd love it if you could
team up with Maun Suang and Brian Campbell, who've been actively
contributing to documentation lately, and come up with a plan to
rewrite as much as you can while keeping the best of both.

	Doing it in docbook format would be sweet, we already have automated
guide regen straight off svn sources going on Daniel Luke's box,
meaning that whatever we commit to the doc/ svn dir is reflected on
the regen'd html files automagically, no fuss! (what's the regen
periodicity, Daniel?). We also have a temporary location for the
guide up at Daniel's site (http://geeklair.net/macports_guide/), but
I am coordinating with Kevin Van Vechten a move to MacOSForge servers
with a static link to it and automated uploads, this time for real.
We're are also working on a mechanism to grant wiki write access to
documentation contributors who do not yet have full svn write access,
so that we can broaden our contributors base in a  much faster and
way. I'll get back to everybody once all this is in place, though.

	So as you can see, we already have this ball rolling with revived
energies, so I'd really love it if you could team up and work people
like Maun Suang and Brian (and any other willing to dedicate some
time to this, most welcome!), providing your new draft as a base for
a major guide redesign and refresh.

	Again, kudos for this great effort! Regards,...

-jmpp