netcat -L

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Fri Jul 6 07:43:34 PDT 2007

Randy wrote:
> -l is not a persistent listener.  nc will close on a FIN.   -L makes
> it persistent.
>
> Google for "netcat manual"...
>
> # 2 is http://www.governmentsecurity.org/archive/t3573.html
>
> :...The -L (note the capital L) option will restart Netcat with
> the same command line when the connection is terminated. This way you
> can connect over and over to the same Netcat process.>>"

Ah... So this talks about netcat for Windows NT (clear indicated by
nc.exe), but not for UNIX. I'd rather believe the man page and the
output of nc -h than some random google'd website.

There is no -L option. Neither in /usr/bin/nc nor in /opt/local/bin/nc
nor in nc on the Linux boxes I have access.
Since such an parameter isn't mentioned anywhere, it doesn't seem to
exist in netcat for UNIX. I can't tell if it exists in a Windows version.

Sorry, I don't think we can help you there...

Rainer

PS: Setting Reply-To as this isn't related to MacPorts