How do I heed compile warnings

Malcolm Fitzgerald mfitzgerald at pacific.net.au
Tue Jul 10 17:45:02 PDT 2007

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 10:06:34 -0400
"Daniel J. Luke" <dluke at geeklair.net> wrote:

> On Jul 9, 2007, at 6:35 PM, Malcolm Fitzgerald wrote:
> > Building claws-mail I got lots of messages like this
>
> I don't see a claws-mail port, are you writing one?

Well, the thing is that I'm out of my depth. I've figured out that I
can download sources, read the INSTALL file, and try it out. But as
soon as something goes wrong I'm as helpless as a babe in the woods.

> > symbol _UI_OpenSSL used from dynamic
> > library /usr/lib/libcrypto.0.9.7.dylib(ui_openssl.o) not from earlier
> > dynamic library /opt/local/lib/libcrypto.0.9.8.dylib(ui_openssl.o)
> >
> > I solved it by moving the libs out of /usr/lib while I built the
> > application. When I ran it it said it couldn't go because those libs
> > weren't present, so I've put them back. It worked, I'm using claws-
> > mail
> > to write this.
>
> You need to tell the claws-mail build system to look for libs (and
> includes) in /opt/local
>
> > What is the best way to resolve these issues? How can I do it so that
> > everything is being built inside /opt/local ?
>
> If it's an autoconf-based project, it's fairly simple (set CPPFLAGS=-
> I/opt/local/include and LDFLAGS=-L/opt/local/lib in your shell). Of
> course, if you create a Portfile, macports will do this for you and
> when the port gets committed, other people will be able to benefit
> from your work.

Right. If I understood what I was doing I'd happily contribute. I feel
as though I've got a few beginners hurdles to trip over before I can do good.

Ryan sent some links to the old port docs and suggested that I read the
portfiles to get familiar with them.

malcolm