selfupdate to 1.0.5

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Tue Jul 10 23:42:02 PDT 2007

On Jul 11, 2007, at 2:33 AM, Juan Manuel Palacios wrote:

> On Jul 11, 2007, at 12:45 AM, Malcolm Fitzgerald wrote:
>
>> I've just done this and it suggests checking /opt/local/var/db/dports
>> and move the left-overs manually. Looking in there I can see two
>> directories, build and sources. build contains a lot of stuff and
>> sources contains one file, _dpupdate1. Is there any reason to move or
>> keep these files?
>>
>> malcolm
>

> 	I put that "warning" there 'cause of the difficulty of moving the
> sources that live in /opt/local/var/db/dports/sources/
> <name_I_never_remember__one_of_the_reasons_why_I_renamed_it ;-)
> >_dpupdate1, and which by the way are the ones providing the
> selfupdate, from underneath us while selfupdating to their new
> location under the much nicer and cleaner /opt/local/var/macports/
> sources directory. Therefore I advice users with a concern for
> order to go into that evil-named directory I will not try to
> remember again and remove them manually, as they are unnecessary
> after the upgrade. Stuff under the build dir are most likely empty
> directories that are not pruned upon the clean action due to a bug
> I also corrected in 1.5.0 (yeah, I realize it's pretty clear is my
> own freakiness for order that motivated me to fix these things ;-).
>
> 	Regards,...
>

> -jmpp

	Forgot to say... unless you want to preserve the contents of some
still in the process of building port (like a completed destroot),
you shouldn't worry about completely wiping the build directory,
everything within it is "re-createable" with port commands... with
maybe some wasted cpu cycles, yes ;-)

	Regards,...

-jmpp