openssl version

Chris Pickel sfiera at macports.org
Wed Jul 11 10:13:38 PDT 2007

On 11 Jul, 2007, at 12:40, Kastus Shchuka wrote:
> port outdated reports openssl as outdated:

> But when I try to upgrade openssl nothing happens:
>
> sudo port -vd upgrade openssl
> DEBUG: Found port in file:///opt/local/var/macports/sources/
> rsync.macports.org/release/ports/devel/openssl
> DEBUG: epoch: in tree: 0 installed: 0
> DEBUG: openssl 0.9.8e_0 exists in the ports tree
> DEBUG: openssl 0.9.8_2 is installed
> DEBUG: Found port in file:///opt/local/var/macports/sources/
> rsync.macports.org/release/ports/archivers/zlib
> DEBUG: epoch: in tree: 0 installed: 0
> DEBUG: zlib 1.2.3_1 exists in the ports tree
> DEBUG: zlib 1.2.3_1 is installed
> DEBUG: No need to upgrade! zlib 1.2.3_1 >= zlib 1.2.3_1
> DEBUG: No need to upgrade! openssl 0.9.8_2 >= openssl 0.9.8e_0

This relates to a deficiency in the way versions and revisions are
munged and demunged. `port outdated` properly understands openssl as
being "version 0.9.8, revision 2" but `port upgrade` mistakenly
understands it as "version 0.9.8_2".

For the technically inclined, I've put a brief and reproducible
summary of the problem at the end of this email; it occurs at /
Library/Tcl/macports1.0/macports.tcl line 1847. I'll commit a fix
shortly, though it might take a bit to get into release.

> Am I using the latest version of openssl? Do I have to force upgrade?

Nope, 0.9.8e is the new version. Go ahead and force it. You probably
want to add the -n flag too, so you'll avoid upgrading zlib as well.

Chris

% set auto_path /opt/local/share/macports/Tcl/
% package require Pextlib 1.0
% rpm-vercomp 0.9.8 0.9.8e
-1
% rpm-vercomp 0.9.8_2 0.9.8e_0