basic information concerning macports + sth else

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jul 12 15:16:34 PDT 2007

On Jul 12, 2007, at 16:00, olivier SAINT-EVE wrote:

> I wonder how to inform macports that I have manually installed a
> tar.gz which is in its port-list, the tar.gz being often more
> recent that the version in the port-list.
> so my question is double:
> -inform macports (purpose: activate the port)
> -upgrade the port

Well, if you want a newer version of the software than MacPorts
currently provides, first step is to sync your ports tree:

sudo port sync

Perhaps someone has already updated the port. Syncing will retrieve
the new version. Now try "port info x" again for your port x.

If not, then the port needs to be updated to deal with the new
version of the software. Often this is as simple as changing the
version and checksum fields in the portfile. Sometimes more work is
needed. It depends on the software.

Many ports have maintainers. Type "port info x" to see if port x has
a maintainer. If so, ask the maintainer to update the port, or file a
ticket in Trac and assign it to the maintainer and Cc yourself and
the maintainer.

If the port has no maintainer, you can request an update to the port
here, but it would be more helpful if you would update the port, test
it, and submit a patch to the portfile. Information about the format
of portfiles can be found by typing "man portfile". There is also old
documentation available in the Internet archive:

http://web.archive.org/web/20060427120406/darwinports.opendarwin.org/
docs/

There is also the FAQ:

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/FAQ

There is also a new manual currently being developed:

http://homepage.mac.com/duling/macports/guide.html

> Also, I wonder the rule of the message variants:universal after the
> info command. I think this means that it is possible to download a
> dmg. Is it true?

Not quite. The universal variant is there to build the port
universal, meaning capable of being used on either a PowerPC Mac or
an Intel Mac:

http://www.apple.com/universal/

This is only really useful if you plan to use your ports tree on
multiple Macs, for example if you have installed MacPorts onto an
external hard drive that you plan to move between different Macs.

If you do not specify the universal variant when you install a port,
then the port is built for whatever type of Mac you're currently on.

The universal variant is globally available to all ports, but does
not yet work with all ports. If you find a port with which it does
not work, bug reports are appreciated. Patches to correct the problem
are even more appreciated! :-)

See also the FAQ entry:

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/
FAQ#IsMacPortsUniversal