Checked in the current draft of the new guide

markd at macports.org markd at macports.org
Fri Jul 13 11:10:17 PDT 2007

Juan Manuel Palacios <jmpp at macports.org> on Friday, July 13, 2007 at 10:23
AM -0800 wrote:
>	I cleaned up some of our documentation tickets up on trac:
>
>*) renamed the "doc" component to "guide"
>*) relocated most of the old doc component tickets I could find to
>more appropriate components, of course leaving there the ones that
>belong.
>
>	What I intended with these changes is the following: we now have a
>documentation milestone and two documentation related components,
>"base" and "guide", the former for stuff like our man pages (and
>maybe doxygen like in source documentation in the future) and the
>latter being self explanatory; any new documentation related tickets
>should be filed under the appropriate milestone and its component
>flagged accordingly. I believe this split gives us nicely, fine-
>grained enough (but not too much) organizational choices. Please feel
>free to suggest something different if you believe this will not
>suite us (but if you do, you're gonna have to help me through trac
>adapting tickets as needed! :-P)

These changes sound sensible to me.

>	So, moving forward, I skimmed over the new guide sources and filed
>my first ticket:
>
>http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/12284
>
>	Guide Masters, start your engines!

I just committed it.  Thanks!

>	Once the new guide properly replaces the old one we're gonna have to
>think about removing the latter and adapting the Makefile targets and
>GuideRegen.sh script to build the new one. Mark, how are you
>currently building the new guide? Any automation put into that?
>(hint: base/portmgr/GuideRegen.sh)

No automation yet.  I'm using a GUI tranform tool, XFC from XMlmind.  I'm
a poor excuse for a geek.  :)  I'm going to examine the GuideRegen.sh to
learn how to do it via terminal commands.

>	I'm hoping you guys can give us a heads-up when you believe we're
>ready to flip the coin and make this change (I'm figuring at that
>point the trunk/doc/guide/xml/newguide.xml file will have to be
>renamed to something more appropriate).

I'll be interested in seeing:

1) the response from the community as far as how usable they think it is.
2) whether developers are interested in populating the reference sections
so that the guide becomes a true reference guide.

And we desperately need someone to give the sylesheet some CSS love and
make it blend with the overall MacPorts site.  I really want to keep the
TOC sidebar; that's my baby, but the colors and other look/feel items need
someone less artistically challenged.

Mark