can not compile gnome

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Jul 14 16:04:48 PDT 2007

On Jul 14, 2007, at 17:55, olivier SAINT-EVE wrote:

> I have installed popt-1.11, one of the dependencies of gnome.
> the installation was made manually, with success.

There are a few exceptions, but as you may know, as a rule, MacPorts
deliberately does not make use of software you have installed
manually. The FAQ explains:

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/
FAQ#WhyisMacPortsusingitsownlibraries

> but the installation of gnome aborts with the message:
>
> --->  Configuring popt
> Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: configure failure:
> shell command " cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_devel
> _popt/work/popt-1.11" && ./configure --prefix=/opt/local --mandir=/
> opt/local/share/man --with-libintl-prefix=/opt/local --with-
> libiconv-prefix=/opt/local " returned error 1
> Command output: configure: error: cannot run /bin/sh ./config.sub
>
> and I have the same message when I try to install popt directly
> with macports.
>
> Have you got an idea (cleaning...) to solve my problem?

I didn't get any error installing popt 1.11_1 just now. Could you
please clean the work directory with "sudo port clean --work popt"
and then show us the output of "sudo port -dv install popt"? Thanks.