glade & gnome

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Mon Jul 16 07:18:07 PDT 2007

olivier SAINT-EVE wrote:

>   1. the "gnome" I must install is the libraries?If this is the
>      environment, will I be able to launch it from macosX?

It looks like you will have to install a lot of stuff. Run the command
"port deps glade" in your Terminal, and you'll see a lot of different
packages are required.

You won't be able to start it from OS X by double-clicking anything
unless you install a launcher tool like Xdroplets
(http://www.rhythmiccanvas.com/software/xdroplets/index.html). The
standard way to start up an X11 application is to start up X11.app (or
XDarwin), open up xterm, and then type in the name of the program you
want to launch: something like "/opt/local/bin/glade" or just "glade" if
your path settings are up-to-date (the MacPorts binary installer takes
care of this for you).

An updated guide for MacPorts users that addresses some of these
questions is available at

http://homepage.mac.com/duling/macports/guide.html

Also, see
http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/UsingMacPortsQuickStart
for some additional details.

>   2. how many place will it take on my hard-disk?

I'm not sure, but I would assume it would be in the neighborhood of 1-2
gigabytes. It's been awhile since I've had a full installation of Gnome
on my machine (I'm more of a KDE fan).

>   3. Does exist a "dmg" that would avoid me to compile all the stuff?

Most likely, no. Building an entire desktop environment like Gnome is
extremely complicated, and that's where packaging systems like MacPorts
(and FInk) excel. If you build all of Gnome from source, plan to leave
your machine running overnight--it will probably take several hours at a
minimum, especially if you have an older/slower machine.

If saving time is a major issue, Fink does offer many pre-compiled
binary packages. Installing them is easy and much faster than building
from source; it also takes up less space on your machine because you do
not have to leave room for building the code. But the packages are
likely to be very old, even outdated. I'm not sure if Fink has a binary
for Gnome or not; you'll have to investigate that yourself.

---
Kevin Walzer
PortAuthority: The GUI for MacPorts
http://www.codebykevin.com/portauthority.html