how to start with macports ?

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Sun Jul 22 11:37:44 PDT 2007

On Jul 22, 2007, at 2:26 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> The latest development version of the MacPorts code, which may not
> work or may not work with the current portfiles, is:
>
> http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/trunk/base/
>
> There is no URL which always points to the latest stable released
> version. The latest right now is:
>
> http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/tags/release_1_5_0/base/
>
> You don't really need to get the code from out repository though.
> Just download and install the disk image as above. Though you can
> certainly build it from source if you prefer that, for some reason.

	Users wanting to stay on the bleeding edge of development can either
update trunk/base from svn and do the ./configure && make dance
(which we would assume they know how to if they want to stay on top
of development), or use rsync if they don't care about svn (a
developer...? ;-).

	As for selfupdate, the default is to upgrade to the released code,
release/base/ in rsync_dir (macports.conf). But you can also
selfudpate to trunk/base by setting rsync_dir to, namely, trunk/base.
Do note that if you choose this approach you'll always have to force
the rebuild (-f), as selfupdate works by comparing version numbers
and we're simply not upgrading the version number in trunk/base every
time a commit takes place. But then again, we'd expect you to know
about this sort of things if you are bold enough to use development
sources ;-)

	Regards,...

-jmpp