how to start with macports ?

Thomas De Contes d.l.tDeContes at free.fr
Mon Jul 23 13:22:13 PDT 2007

Le dimanche, 22 juil 2007, à 20:26 Europe/Paris, Ryan Schmidt a écrit :

> On Jul 22, 2007, at 09:32, Thomas De Contes wrote:
>
>> Le dimanche, 22 juil 2007, à 12:43 Europe/Paris, Thomas De Contes a
>> écrit :

>>> i would like to make a script which automatically install macports
>>> if it's not installed, and update it if it is already installed
>>> (like the one i made with cvs)
>>> how to do that ?
>
> To install MacPorts, download the latest disk image for you OS from
> (currently) here:
>
> http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/browser/downloads/
> MacPorts-1.5.0
>
> To update MacPorts, type "sudo port selfupdate".
>
> I'm sure you can write a script to handle this. If /opt/local/bin/port
> does not exist then download and install MacPorts 1.5.0. And either
> way, selfupdate it to make sure it's up to date.

i trust you that it's possible to make that,
but i don't know make scripts enough, above all the url to download
will change

and i always prefer download sources with a protocol that allow to keep
unchanged files (like svn or rsync), than download archives

>>> on https://libre.adacore.com/GtkAda/main.html there is
>>> svn checkout http://svn.eu.adacore.com/anonsvn/Dev/trunk/GtkAda
>>> regarding to http://www.macports.org/?page_id=4 does that mean i
>>> have just to do
>>> svn checkout http://svn.eu.adacore.com/anonsvn/Dev/trunk/GtkAda
>>> ?
>>> (anyway it would be nice to tell it on the website :-) )
>
> I don't know why you think GtkAda is related to MacPorts... It's not.

sorry, it was a mistake
i didn't think at all that GtkAda was related to MacPorts

instead, i wanted to say :

>>> on https://libre.adacore.com/GtkAda/main.html there is
>>> svn checkout http://svn.eu.adacore.com/anonsvn/Dev/trunk/GtkAda
>>>
>>> regarding to http://www.macports.org/?page_id=4 does that mean i
>>> have just to do
>>> svn checkout http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/
>>> ?
>>> (anyway it would be nice to tell it on the website :-) )

but i hadn't read the svn help
now i have :-)

>> i would say
>> svn checkout http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/
>> of course :-)
>>
>> well, reading the svn help, it seems to be the right svn command,
>> but it seems to not be the right url :-(
>> is there an url that i can use, which will always give me the last
>> version of macports, please ?
>> http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/trunk/ ? i'll try it, but
>> i would like have a confirmation :-)
>
> The latest development version of the MacPorts code,

> which may not work or may not work with the current portfiles,

ok, so i'm aware :-)

> is:
>
> http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/trunk/base/

thank you :-)

2 questions :

i remember that the cvs command caused to download
base/
doc/
dports/
www/
and some readme files

1 : does't it need to download at least dports, to know the list of
available ports ??

2 : why is there no longer in macports the readme files that there were
in darwinports ?

> There is no URL which always points to the latest stable released
> version.

it's a pity
(i would need it for my script, i don't know how to detect it
automatically)

> The latest right now is:
>
> http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/tags/release_1_5_0/base/

thank you :-)

> You don't really need to get the code from out repository though. Just
> download and install the disk image as above. Though you can certainly
> build it from source if you prefer that, for some reason.

i want to personalize the install directory to not need to be root, i
don't know if the binaries would support it (svn doesn't support it)

> On Jul 22, 2007, at 05:43, Thomas De Contes wrote:
>
>> btw, i have an other question for this script :
>>
>> i did
>> port install gtk2
>> port upgrade gtk2
>> and often it doesn't works
>
> "it doesn't works" is not a bug report we can do anything with. Show
> us the actual output you receive, tell us what version of MacPorts,
> Xcode and Mac OS X you have, what architecture you're on, etc. and
> maybe we can help then.
>
>> port install may do sth wrong if the port is already installed
>>
>> what can i do instead ?
>
> True, "port install" doesn't work if the port is already installed.
> That's why there's "port upgrade".

well, i posted this question before seeing that now port install gtk2
does nothing if gtk2 is installed
sorry

i had problems when it tried to install anyway, and so made a part of
the upgrade but not as it should
thanks to all for this improovement :-)

(btw, currently port upgrade outdated gives a big error msg if there is
no port outdated)

--
Mon CV : http://tDeContes.hd.free.fr/divers/emploi/