newbie selfupdate fails

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jul 24 01:38:45 PDT 2007

On Jul 23, 2007, at 21:11, Eric Platon wrote:

>> It looks like rsync is failing to connect.  Perhaps the server is too
>> busy?
>> Or perhaps my company firewalls are blocking it?
>> Suggestions?
>
> My company firewalls does block rsync and it was my problem to get the
> updates. I could connect to rsync, so it seems working well. The
> solution to
> the firewall problem was to change the rsync target for the svn
> repository
> in /opt/local/etc/macports/source.conf. The svn address is:
> http://svn.macosforge.org/repository/macports/trunk/
>
> I wonder however whether the MacPorts team prefers users to avoid
> using the
> svn, as most of the official information leads to rsync.

Feel free to use the svn method. The svn repository is, after all,
the master; the rsync version is merely copied from that. I have used
the svn method for many months. By doing so, you will get updates
quicker than rsync users. (The rsync version only syncs with the svn
repository every half hour or so.) The only reason (that I know of)
that MacPorts does not use svn by default is that Mac OS X does not
include the svn software, but does include the rsync software, and
requiring users to build svn (and all its dependencies) would be a
bit heavy.