Dependency Problem of Upgrading Gnuplot: A Possible Bug

Xin Liu smilerliu at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 10:07:15 PDT 2007

I know the policy, but the gnuplot portfile is designed to support
external tex installation because it uses bin:tex:tetex instead of
port:tetex. Currently "port install" is doing OK, but "port upgrade"
seems unable to parse the ${binpath} in macports.conf and forces me to
install teTeX. Either there's something wrong in the implementation of
the "upgrade" command, or I missed some configuration, but I highly
suspect it's the former case.

And for the policy itself, I generally agree with it, but for this
specific case, it's not really a good idea to force people install
teTeX, because: 1) a lot of people are using MacTex; 2) the official
teTeX has been discontinued.

Best
Regards,

Xin Liu