Dependency Problem of Upgrading Gnuplot: A Possible Bug

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Tue Jul 24 14:59:07 PDT 2007

On Jul 24, 2007, at 5:52 PM, Xin Liu wrote:
> Then what's the point of having the bin style dependencies?

exactly ... that's why the use is discouraged ... it only causes
problems.

> It's
> intended to solve the external dependency problem, otherwise the
> portfile author would use port style instead. With the current
> implementation of the "upgrade" command, the bin style is basically
> useless (because anyone who performs an upgrade will have the internal
> dependencies installed anyway), and there is no solution to
> accommodate external dependencies in a convenient way.

Again, this is a reason why the usage is discouraged. I'm sure we'd
be happy to include a patch to fix the issue if it doesn't create
other issues as well (as your proposed change would, since it would
also incorrectly prevent macports-provided ports from being upgraded
if they were installed to satisfy a bin/lib style dependency).

> "-n" is not an
> option, because it also prevents other dependencies that lie within
> macports from being upgraded.

You could just remove the dependency from the portfile, if -n won't
work for you and you're insistent on using an external dependency.

> On the other hand, if the code never upgrades bin style dependencies,
> I cannot see any problem. I'd assume (almost, if not absolutely) every
> portfile author only uses bin style and lib style to accommodate
> external dependencies.

The third part of a bin/lib style dependency is the port that can be
used to meet the dependency.

> If his/her package depends on other software
> that needs to be upgraded by macports, he/she should use port style
> instead.

Indeed, that's why (as I've said a few times now), the bin/lib style
dependencies are discouraged in favor of port: style dependencies.
--
Daniel J. Luke