Macports, port upgarde and depenadncies definately flawed

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Jul 25 03:03:41 PDT 2007

On Jul 25, 2007, at 04:45, Keith J. Schultz wrote:

> 	To add to the on-going discussion. I just did:
> 		sudo port -f upgrade gnome-user-docs

If you ever need to use -f to force an upgrade, you probably also
want to use -n to do it non-recursively. Otherwise you often get
unhelpful behavior.

> 	I get the following output
> 		Warning: Uninstall forced.  Proceeding despite dependencies.
> --->  Deactivating libart_lgpl 2.3.19_1
> --->  Uninstalling libart_lgpl 2.3.19_1
> --->  Installing libart_lgpl 2.3.19_1
> --->  Activating libart_lgpl 2.3.19_1
> --->  Cleaning libart_lgpl
> --->  Fetching XFree86
>
> Error:
>                     You have an Apple X11 installation already.
>                         MacPorts will not overwrite it.
>
>                     If you really want to use XFree86 instead,
>                         please move it aside first :
>
>                             sudo mv /usr/X11R6 /usr/X11R6.apple
>
> --->  Attempting to fetch XFree86-4.6.0-src-1.tgz from http://ftp-
> stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/ftp.xfree86.org/XFree86/4.6.0/
> source/
> --->  Attempting to fetch XFree86-4.6.0-src-2.tgz from http://ftp-
> stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/ftp.xfree86.org/XFree86/4.6.0/
> source/
> --->  Attempting to fetch XFree86-4.6.0-src-3.tgz from http://ftp-
> stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/ftp.xfree86.org/XFree86/4.6.0/
> source/
> --->  Attempting to fetch XFree86-4.6.0-src-4.tgz from http://ftp-
> stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/ftp.xfree86.org/XFree86/4.6.0/
> source/
> --->  Attempting to fetch XFree86-4.6.0-src-5.tgz from http://ftp-
> stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/ftp.xfree86.org/XFree86/4.6.0/
> source/
> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for XFree86
> --->  Extracting XFree86
> --->  Applying patches to XFree86
> --->  Configuring XFree86
> --->  Building XFree86 with target World
>
> 	Well if it sees I have X11 and I definately do not want to install
> why does it do it anyway ?
> 	I guess I going to write my own perl script for upgrading, because
> it is ridiculous that port
> 	wants to install things I do not want need screwing up my set up.

This sounds more like a bug in the XFree86 port than a bug in
MacPorts proper. The port prints these messages telling you that you
probably don't want to install it, but then proceeds to install it
anyway. The port should return an error at this point rather than
proceeding.