where do feature requests go?

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Mon Jun 11 05:34:58 PDT 2007

On Jun 11, 2007, at 4:20 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> I don't know if they do it by country or what, but I know there are
> databases (free ones, even) that will tell you what country an IP
> address is in, so that's a reasonable way to do it.

Just so you know, even the more expensive of these databases can
generally only approach 80% accuracy (at best).

I've found that even my highly-obvious home Comcast connection is
rarely reported correctly in them (besides the fact that none of them
can handle 'odd' type connections where there's a tunnel involved, etc.)

... of course, this is one of those situations where a perfect
solution will never happen, so we need to decide what is the best
'good enough' solution.

For the most part, we probably want to avoid crossing oceans unless
we have to. I would suggest that mirrors are organized by continent
(North America, Europe, and Asia probably containing almost all of
our mirrors). A conf file attribute could let the end user specify a
continent (with North America being a reasonable default both for
network topology and user density reasons).

--
Daniel J. Luke