Optimization flags in qmake.spec

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Mon Jun 11 05:37:49 PDT 2007

On Jun 11, 2007, at 5:21 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Jun 11, 2007, at 04:02, Pierre Queinnec wrote:
>
>> IIRC Apple recommends -Os, not -O2.
>
> We currently use -O2 for most other ports, because it is the gcc
> default. Where is this -O recommendation?

I tried to find it earlier (when I suggested we use -Os) but
couldn't. IIRC it was documented in a technote.

The reason given was that often -Os can be faster than -O2
(especially when multiple apps are running) because the smaller size
translates into fewer cache misses/less RAM needed etc.
--
Daniel J. Luke