gcc42 ... building for i386 _and_ ppc?

William Gallafent william at gallaf.net
Wed Jun 13 08:13:44 PDT 2007

Hi,

I've successfully installed gcc42 on this i386 machine, and it
works fine for creating i386 binaries. Now I want to make a
version which creates ppc binaries.

In an ideal world, I'd like one which works in the same way as
Apple's gcc, allowing the "-arch ppc" and "-arch i386" flags,
but I understand that this would be difficult to achieve from
GCC mainline, so I'm happy to have two separate compiler
builds, perhaps with a different prefix, if there is no smarter
solution.

So, is there a straightforward way to have two versions of gcc42
from macports installed on this same machine, one targetting
i386 and one ppc? In a sense, one is a cross-compiler, with
host=i386-apple-darwin8, target=powerpc-apple-darwin8.

What does the "universal" variant of gcc42 do? I'm not
interested in having compiler binaries for ppc, just in
creating ppc output from the compiler, so I suspect this is not
for me.

Is there anything I need to consider when targetting Mac OS
10.3.9 with a compiler built in this way? I'm aware
of "MACOS_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.3" ... do I also
need --with-sysroot=/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.3.9.sdk or
anything else similar? Isn't Mac OS X.3.9
powerpc-apple-darwin7, rather than darwin8? Does this matter?

Pointers to relevant documentation would be welcome!

Thanks,

--
Bill Gallafent.