installing vim with graphical mode

Emmanuel Hainry ehainry at free.fr
Fri Jun 15 01:04:46 PDT 2007

Citando Malcolm Fitzgerald :
>  Newby question. Could need a pointer to FAQs.
>
>  I just installed vim. I wanted to get gvim but that configuration wasn't set
>  when I ran 'sudo port install vim'.
>
>  Would you point me to an installation primer so that I can set the right
>  variables for vim to build with the graphical component.

You should try vim-app.

I wonder why, but the aqua variant has been removed from vim and a new
vim-app port has been created. One problem I have: it does not contain
the non-gui vim, which a simple link makes available... Maybe vim-app
could have a variant for terminal vim. Second (possible) problem, this
vim-app installs the gvim script (which I am very happy about), which
means vim-app can conflict with vim +gtk2 or whatever graphical variant
you choose for vim. Third problem: two different ports, two different
maintainers, two instances of vim which are not in sync: vim-app is
7.1.000, vim is 7.1.002.

I preferred the way it used to be.

Emmanuel