cyrus-sasl2 fails to install (surprising to me)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Jun 15 14:49:07 PDT 2007

On Jun 15, 2007, at 14:02, Tabitha McNerney wrote:

> I'm not sure what to make of this, but the cyrus-sasl2 port (which
> several others depend on with respect to security) fails to install
> on a fresh (new) MacBook (Intel Core 2 Duo) running OS X 10.4.9 and
> all of Apple's latest security updates. I haven't had any problems
> installing other MacPorts so far.
>
> This is strange because I've never had a problem with it before
> with cyrus-sasl2 (historically it has been an easy port to
> install). I've pasted the tail of the very long and verbose output
> from running a verbose installation attempt (I have a copy of the
> entire output if that would be useful). I'm not sure what to do --
> I had a look at the Portfile and some of the work files but I can't
> find which script issues the move ("mv") command. I am wondering
> however if there was a recent error introduced into the build
> scripts because there appears to be a blank space in the name of
> the directory that its trying to move a file to specifically
> between the 's' in kerberos and the 'd' in darwin, as verbatim:
>
> /Volumes/Disc/opt/local/var/macports/receipts/cyrus-sasl2/2.1.21_0
> +kerberos darwin/receipt"
>
> Any suggestions on what I can do to correct this are quite
> appreciated. If successful in repairing, I'd be happy to submit a
> patch if that would be useful.
>
> Much thanks,
>
> T.M.
>
> man8/sasldblistusers2.8.gz: changing permissions from 00644 to 00444
> man8/saslpasswd2.8:       51.8% -- replaced with man8/saslpasswd2.8.gz
> man8/saslpasswd2.8.gz: changing permissions from 00644 to 00444
> --->  Installing cyrus-sasl2 2.1.21_0+kerberos darwin
> usage: mv [-f | -i | -n] [-v] source target
>        mv [-f | -i | -n] [-v] source ... directory
> Error: Target org.macports.install returned: shell command "mv /
> Volumes/Disc/opt/local/var/macports/receipts/cyrus-sasl2/2.1.21_0
> +kerberos darwin/receipt.tmp /Volumes/Disc/opt/local/var/macports/
> receipts/cyrus-sasl2/2.1.21_0+kerberos darwin/receipt" returned
> error 64
> Command output: usage: mv [-f | -i | -n] [-v] source target
>        mv [-f | -i | -n] [-v] source ... directory
>
> Warning: the following items did not execute (for cyrus-sasl2):
> org.macports.activate org.macports.install
> #

Well..... the cyrus-sasl2 port has the following variant declarations:

variant kerberos darwin {
	configure.args-append --enable-gssapi --with-gss_impl=mit
}

variant kerberos freebsd {
	configure.args-append --enable-gssapi --with-gss_impl=heimdal
}

I haven't seen a variant declaration with two names before... and it
seems like at least some part of MacPorts thinks this is a single
name with a space in it, which is bad for several parts of MacPorts
which assume it doesn't have a space in it.