selfupdate fails on link

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jun 18 08:22:18 PDT 2007

On Jun 17, 2007, at 22:03, andlabs wrote:

> Hello. I need to install components with universal binary support,
> and when I go to sudo port selfudate, here's what I get, put on a
> pastebin: http://www.slexy.org/paste/3133

The relevant portion of that:

> ld: Undefined symbols:
> _rl_completion_matches
> _rl_filename_completion_function
> _rl_username_completion_function
> /usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
> make[2]: *** [Pextlib.dylib] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 1

It sounds to me like you have a rogue copy of readline, perhaps in /
usr/local/lib. If so, you need to at least move that out of the way
until you install MacPorts, but MacPorts would probably be happier if
you would delete it entirely. Why do you have it? What depends on it?
Perhaps you can install that software with MacPorts, too.