selfupdate fails on link

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jun 18 14:56:19 PDT 2007

On Jun 18, 2007, at 16:33, andlabs wrote:

> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> It sounds to me like you have a rogue copy of readline, perhaps in
>> /usr/local/lib. If so, you need to at least move that out of the
>> way until
>> you install MacPorts, but MacPorts would probably be happier if
>> you would
>> delete it entirely. Why do you have it? What depends on it?
>> Perhaps you
>> can install that software with MacPorts, too.
>
> It came with my Xcode Tools for Mac. Anyways, the MacPorts one
> fixed the
> problem, thanks.
>
> Here are the patch instructions for Xcode users - please add them if
> necessary:
> $ cd /usr/local/lib
> $ sudo mv libreadline.a libreadline.a_old
> $ sudo ln /opt/local/lib/libreadline.a
> $ cd /usr/lib
> $ sudo mv libreadline.dylib libreadline.dylib_old
> $ sudo ln /opt/local/lib/libreadline.dylib

I don't think your assessment of the cause of the problem is correct.
All MacPorts users are, by necessity, Xcode users, and not all users
experience this problem, so it's not Xcode that's causing it. I don't
think any Apple software installs anything into /usr/local. Certainly
my system does not have a /usr/local/lib directory, I do have Xcode
installed, and MacPorts does work for me.

Also, your "fix" has replaced the readline in /usr/local with
symlinks to the MacPorts-installed version of readline from /opt/
local. This may have allowed MacPorts to selfupdate, but may also
have broken whatever other software you had which originally
installed that readline. As I said above, it wasn't Xcode.