Can't compile coreutils

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jun 18 19:35:27 PDT 2007

On Jun 18, 2007, at 21:12, Timothy Reaves wrote:

> Has there been any work to address this yet?  I'd really like to
> use it.
>

> gcc -std=gnu99  -O2  -L/opt/local/lib -o date date.o ../lib/
> libcoreutils.a
>  ../lib/libcoreutils.a
> Undefined symbols:
>  "_rpl_putenv$UNIX2003", referenced from:
>      _main in date.o
> ld64-74.4 failed: symbol(s) not found
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[2]: *** [date] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

I see you've asked this on the Fink list too:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.apple.fink.general/23805

Since you're using Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, the rest of us mere mortals
probably won't be able to help much. Of course, if you can come up
with a solution that we can implement in the port, while remaining
compatible with 10.4 and 10.3, we'll be happy to apply it. Though
since you're experiencing the same problem with this software with
both Fink and MacPorts, it's clearly not a problem isolated to either
Fink or MacPorts, so you should report it instead to the authors of
the coreutils software. I guess that would be the GNU group.

http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/