How do I search inside long descriptions

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jun 19 02:08:50 PDT 2007

On Jun 19, 2007, at 02:18, Malcolm Fitzgerald wrote:

> On 19/06/2007, at 4:35 PM, paul beard wrote:
>
>> On Jun 18, 2007, at 11:30 PM, Malcolm Fitzgerald wrote:
>>
>>> The words "known-good port" represent the blank that I'm trying
>>> to fill. I want to be able to search for text inside the port's
>>> long-description. I'd like to discover the "known-good"
>>> spreadsheets, etc that are in MacPorts. At present I have to go
>>> to the the freebsd ports web site, search there, then see if any
>>> of the ports that I've found are available in MacPorts.
>>
>> Yeah, I missed that in your question somehow.
>>
>> Might be worth just dumping a list and seeing if you recognize
>> any, assuming you're familiar with some of the names.
>
> Well, that's half the problem. I'd like to be able to explore and
> discover new things.

In lieu of a MacPorts command to do this, since there isn't one that
I know of, you could grep the entire text of all the portfiles. This
won't work well if the string you're searching for is a language
keyword, MacPorts category, username or other text that appears in
many portfiles, but for example for "spreadsheet" it gives this:

$ grep 'spreadsheet' */*/Portfile
gnome/gnumeric/Portfile:description     A spreadsheet with gnome
support.
gnome/gnumeric/Portfile:long_description        A spreadsheet with
gnome support.
math/oleo/Portfile:description                  Lightweight
spreadsheet program
math/oleo/Portfile:     GNU Oleo is a spreadsheet program with the
following features: \
math/oleo/Portfile:     Charts generated from spreadsheet data
(interface is not yet stable, \
perl/p5-sql-translator/
Portfile:                                        port:p5-io-stringy
port:p5-spreadsheet-parseexcel \
python/py-xlrd/Portfile:description             module to extract
data from Microsoft Excel spreadsheet files
python/py-xlrd/Portfile:                        Excel spreadsheet files.
python/py-xlwriter/Portfile:description         python module for
writing Excel spreadsheets
python/py-xlwriter/Portfile:                            spreadsheets.
It is a port of John McNamara's Perl \
python/py-xlwriter/Portfile:                            It allows
writing of Excel spreadsheets without the \
textproc/catdoc/Portfile:                converts Excel spreadsheet
into comma-separated value \
www/autobench/Portfile:    spreadsheet for analysis/graphing.
x11/siag/Portfile:                      It consists of the
spreadsheet Siag, the word processor PW, \

Run this in your ports tree directory. If you don't know where that
is, one way to get to it is like this:

cd `port dir e`/../..

There's probably a better way to do that but that works. Then, if
your grep turns up something interesting, you can of course learn
more about the port with "port info <PORTNAME>".