Launchd not starting lighttpd - startupitem.requires

James Berry jberry at macports.org
Thu Jun 21 09:50:32 PDT 2007

On Jun 21, 2007, at 7:24 AM, Sterling Anderson wrote:

> On Jun 21, 2007, at 1:33 AM, markd at macports.org wrote:
>
>> Sterling Anderson <sterling_anderson at mac.com> on Wednesday, June
>> 20, 2007
>> at 8:38 PM -0800 wrote:
>>> Nothing in the console at all. I am stumped. No error messages at
>>> all. The wrapper has the correct syntax. Manually loading and
>>> unloading the launchd file works properly. I just don't get why it's
>>> not working on boot.
>>
>> Ah, then it must be a timinig issue.  I just found an feature that
>> isn't
>> documented in the manpage: startupitem.requires.  Theoretically
>> that could
>> be used to delay execution until some other functions are
>> started.  See
>> the radmind portfile for an example.  However, 10.3 also had that
>> keyword
>> for the systemstarter, but I never had any luck with that.  I
>> ended up
>> using a start script with a sleep command in it.  See the Snort
>> port.  But
>> I didn't know about startupitem.requires on 10.4 so I didn't try
>> that.  I
>> will sometime.  Try editing the portfile and using
>> startup.requires as the
>> radmind port does and let us know if it works.
>
> Added the startupitem.requires to the Portfile and reinstalled. No
> dice. I'm very confused.

Hi Sterling,

startupitem.requires takes effect only for SystemStarter items, not
for launchd.

Here's what I'd try:

> On Apr 9, 2007, at 10:22 AM, James Berry wrote:
>
>> Hi Alex,
>>
>> You might try adding the option "--restart-netchange" to the
>> daemondo invocation in /Library/LaunchDaemons/
>> org.macports.bind9.plist:
>>
>> 		<string>--restart-netchange</string>
>>
>> This should cause daemondo to restart bind if the ip address
>> changes, which is probably occurring after bind gets running.

This doesn't prevent lighttpd from starting, but it does restart it
when the network configuration changes, probably sometime after it
first starts up.

Let me know if this works for you. That string line should follow the
--label line, for instance.

James