[MySQL] Install difficulties : Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Jun 24 21:21:15 PDT 2007

On Jun 24, 2007, at 17:08, Bill Hernandez wrote:

> I seemed to have gotten mySQL installed and running, but after a
> couple o start/stop events, now I am getting  :
>
> ERROR : Connection Failed : Can't connect to local MySQL server
> through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)
>
> and after a couple of days trying to solve this problem decided to
> seek wisdom elsewhere...

I'm going to snip right there because you've written such a
voluminous message that I'm having immense difficulties taking it all
in. But as has been pointed out, /tmp/mysql.sock is not where the
MacPorts mysql5 puts its socket. (/tmp/mysql.sock is where the
mysql.com binary distribution puts its socket file.) Why is your
mysql looking for the socket in /tmp/mysql.sock? Have you configured
your my.cnf to point to that location? If so, take those lines out
and let mysql find the socket files in the default location.