MySQL5 install stuff

paul beard paulbeard at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 13:28:43 PDT 2007

I have to say that installing and running MySQL has never been troublefree
for me.

I find it especially frustrating when presented instructions to copy and
paste that don't work:

[/opt/local]# bin/mysql_install_db5

Installing MySQL system tables...

OK

Filling help tables...

OK

To start mysqld at boot time you have to copy

support-files/mysql.server to the right place for your system

PLEASE REMEMBER TO SET A PASSWORD FOR THE MySQL root USER !

To do so, start the server, then issue the following commands:

/opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin/mysqladmin -u root password 'new-password'

/opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h white.paulbeard.org password
'new-password'

See the manual for more instructions.

You can start the MySQL daemon with:

cd /opt/local ; /opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin/mysqld_safe &

You can test the MySQL daemon with mysql-test-run.pl

cd mysql-test ; perl mysql-test-run.pl

Please report any problems with the /opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin/mysqlbug
script!

The latest information about MySQL is available on the web at

http://www.mysql.com

Support MySQL by buying support/licenses at http://shop.mysql.com

(root at white.paulbeard.org)-(01:23 PM / Mon Jun 25)

[/opt/local]# /opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin/mysqladmin -u root password
'new-password'

/opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost'
failed

error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/opt/local/var/run/mysql5/mysqld.sock' (2)'

Check that mysqld is running and that the socket:
'/opt/local/var/run/mysql5/mysqld.sock' exists!

It strikes me as obvious that the database server/daemon needs to be running
before we'll be able to run commands against it, right? So how is that
supposed to work?

I knew there is some other incantation that runs it with the privileges
opened up (something to do with grant tables) that I have used before but
only after looking it up. I'm sure I can get it working -- I have done
before -- but are people using these instructions and getting anywhere? I
don't even see a reference to running the database installer, and without
that you're hosed.
--
Paul Beard / www.paulbeard.org/
<paulbeard at gmail.com/paulbeard at mac.com>