[MySQL] Install difficulties : Can't connect to local MySQL server through

markd at macports.org markd at macports.org
Tue Jun 26 07:19:23 PDT 2007

"Daniel J. Luke" <dluke at geeklair.net> on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 at 7:07 AM
-0800 wrote:
>Having paranoid standpoint on security is usually a fairly good
>thing ;-)

It all depends on what level of paranoia you adopt.  The classic example
of excessive paranoia is where password changes are required so frequently
that users write them on sticky notes to keep track of them.  :)  The
problem is when the humans are left out of the picture.

>> So James has just given up maintainership of mysql5 (see r26483),
>> leaving just me, and I would like to make +server the default, and
>> have a variant for turning it off for those few people who don't
>> want it.
>
>Why is this better than doing what the postgres ports do?
>
>Having two ports lets other ports depend on what they want. (Say
>something requires just the mysql client libraries, it can depend on
>the mysql port and then if later someone wants the server, they just
>install the server port). With just the variants, if I install first
>with +no_startupitem/+no_server for some reason and later want the
>server, I need to uninstall and then reinstall without that variant.
>
>I don't believe that having two the ports would add additional
>confusion for end-users (but I could probably be convinced otherwise).
>
>What are the arguments against doing it that way?

I don't think there is an argument against it; it is just that no one has
done it yet.  It seems like a perfectly acceptable thing to do, but it has
only been talked about and never done.

Mark