Unable to run 'ruby script/console'

Frederick C. Lee fclee at dialup4less.com
Wed Jun 27 15:02:49 PDT 2007

One the hassles of installing software via MacPorts and independent
sites is having duplicate applications installed.
I started to look for all the ruby parts and found them distributed
about the HD:

[/Users/Ric/workarea/ruby/shovell]which irb
/usr/bin/irb

[/Users/Ric/workarea/ruby/shovell]which ruby
/opt/local/bin/ruby

[/Users/Ric/workarea/ruby/shovell]which rails
/opt/local/bin/rails

[/Users/Ric/workarea/ruby/shovell]ls /opt/local/bin/irb
/opt/local/bin/irb*

Here we see multiple occurrences of irb; also found elsewhere.
So I deleted the others, keeping the one in /opt/local/bin where
'ruby' is located.

... then tried again.

[/Users/Ric/workarea/ruby/shovell]ruby script/console

Moral to this story... avoid duplication.

Ric.

On Jun 27, 2007, at 3:19 PM, Steve Rogers wrote:

> On Jun 27, 2007, at 3:36 PM, Frederick C. Lee wrote:
>
>> This is what I get when I attempt to run the console per Patrick
>> Lenz's book:
>> [/Users/Ric/workarea/ruby/shovell]ruby script/console
>> /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/lib/commands/
>> console.rb:25:in `exec': No such file or directory - irb  -r irb/
>> completion -r script/../config/../config/environment
>

> I'd guess that one of these things is missing.  Try "which irb"
> and see if you have a config/environment.rb
>
> SR

Frederick C. Lee
fclee at dialup4less.com

"Make no mistake about it, I understand how tough it is, sir. I talk
to families who die."
--George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Dec. 7, 2006