Unable to run 'ruby script/console'

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Jun 27 16:18:54 PDT 2007

On Jun 27, 2007, at 17:41, Marc André Selig wrote:

> On 6/28/07, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> What is your PATH variable set to? Does it list /opt/local/bin first,
>> before /usr/bin? If not, that could have been the problem...
>
> Does heimdal still install a broken su in /opt/local/bin?  [Yes, it
> does.]
>
> Does gnome-vfs still depend on heimdal?  [Yes, it does.]
>
> Moral: Don't put /opt/local/bin before /usr/bin unless you're feeling
> adventurous.

I don't know exactly what to say to that. I don't use heimdal or
gnome so I haven't run into that problem. For the ports I install,
they are either software that is not already on Mac OS X, in which
case the order of the PATH does not matter, or they are newer
versions of software Mac OS X provides (like php, whois and curl)
such that the whole point is that I want the newer versions, so I
most definitely want to list /opt/local/bin first in the PATH. I
don't consider this adventurous; I consider this correctly
configured, as documented on the install page in the wiki:

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/
InstallingMacPorts#a3.Settheshellenvironment

I do recall your heimdal / su problem from earlier on the list, of
course. But it sounds to me more like the heimdal software or port is
broken if it installs a su that doesn't work like the system's su.
You should work with either the authors of the heimdal software or
the maintainer of the heimdal port to resolve it.