on port contents name collisions (was Unable to run 'ruby script/console')

paul beard paulbeard at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 16:32:44 PDT 2007

On 6/27/07, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> I do recall your heimdal / su problem from earlier on the list, of
> course. But it sounds to me more like the heimdal software or port is
> broken if it installs a su that doesn't work like the system's su.
> You should work with either the authors of the heimdal software or
> the maintainer of the heimdal port to resolve it.

I never use su, preferring sudo. So I don't get bitten by this. I think it
only cropped up at install time, when heimdal was griping about an existing
su that it didn't know about: coreutils installs one, but I think the
solution was to prepend 'g' to all the identically-named binaries it
provides. That or tweak the portfile so that one of those ports doesn't
install the conflicting file. Does heimdal's su do anything that coreutils'
su doesn't?

--
Paul Beard / www.paulbeard.org/
<paulbeard at gmail.com/paulbeard at mac.com>