MacPorts manual, or info on MacPorts development

Brian Campbell lambda at continuation.org
Sat Jun 30 10:39:45 PDT 2007

Thanks! I think I understand a little better now. Now I need to
figure out what the best way is to document in the manual, since I'm
trying to document everything I need to do there so people don't have
to ask these questions in the future.

On Jun 30, 2007, at 2:38 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> I've never had to blow away /opt/local and start over. I use sudo
> for most port commands, because they complain about permissions if
> I don't. I could chown various directories but so far I haven't
> bothered.

I've had to, and that was just from doing normal installation and
upgrading of existing packages. I might have been able to recover it,
but because of the lack of documentation, I really didn't know how to
go about doing that.

My next task will be to figure out and document how all of the
indexes, receipts, and build directories work, and document that, so
people who are trying to figure out what's breaking will know what
they're doing in the future.