gramps and python issues

Paul Beard paulbeard at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 13:52:44 PST 2007

On Mar 5, 2007, at 12:10 PM, Richard Taylor wrote:

> I had exactly the same problem. I eventually came to the conclusion
> that the
> pygtk build on Mac OSX is broken. I don't believe that it is
> anything to do
> with gramps. I think that it is a combination of the gcc/gtk/pygtk
> versions
> but I was unable to verify the exact problem.

I have gone round and round on this. No closer to resolution.

> In the end I abandoned trying to get it to work (after a 4 complete
> uninstall/rebuild everything sessions with darwinports and fink)
> with either
> fink or darwinports and worked out a way to make it work with a
> native gtk
> build.

If you are the maintainer, can that be rolled into a Portfile? It
would be a lot better of the py-gtk2/py-gnome stuff could be resolved
but I don't know how to get that going. It looks like gramps is
crapping on a failed test for py-gnome, but the actual failure is a
failure to run the test.

checking for sh... /bin/sh
checking Python bindings for gtk2.4 (pygtk2>=2.3.4)... ok
checking Python bindings for gnome... ./configure: line 2324:  2894
Bus error               $PYTHON conftest.py
cat: conftest.out: No such file or directory
configure: error:
**** The python bindings for gnome 2.0 (gnome-python2) could not be
found.

Line 2324 is the first line of this block:
$PYTHON conftest.py
has_pygnome=`cat conftest.out`
rm -f conftest.out conftest.py
if test YES != "$has_pygnome"
then
    { { echo "$as_me:$LINENO: error:
**** The python bindings for gnome 2.0 (gnome-python2) could not be
found." >&5
echo "$as_me: error:
**** The python bindings for gnome 2.0 (gnome-python2) could not be
found." >&2;}
    { (exit 1); exit 1; }; }
fi

The conftest.py file doesn't exist in the ported version (2.0.10) or
the latest stable version (2.2.6): is it reasonable to expect it
there or should it part of some other tarball?

- --
Paul Beard
contact info: www.paulbeard.org/paulbeard.vcf
pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pdb206/
Are you trying to win an argument or solve a problem?