gramps and python issues

Yves de Champlain yves at macports.org
Thu Mar 8 06:12:05 PST 2007

Le 07-03-08 à 01:18, Richard Taylor a écrit :

> On Thursday 08 March 2007 02:37, Yves de Champlain wrote:

>>> I have gone round and round on this. No closer to resolution.

>>> If you are the maintainer, can that be rolled into a Portfile? It
>>> would be a lot better of the py-gtk2/py-gnome stuff could be
>>> resolved but I don't know how to get that going. It looks like
>>> gramps is crapping on a failed test for py-gnome, but the actual
>>> failure is a failure to run the test.
>>>
>>> checking for sh... /bin/sh
>>> checking Python bindings for gtk2.4 (pygtk2>=2.3.4)... ok
>>> checking Python bindings for gnome... ./configure: line 2324:  2894
>>> Bus error               $PYTHON conftest.py
>>> cat: conftest.out: No such file or directory
>>> configure: error:
>>> **** The python bindings for gnome 2.0 (gnome-python2) could not be
>>> found.
>>>
>>> Line 2324 is the first line of this block:
>>> $PYTHON conftest.py
>>> has_pygnome=`cat conftest.out`
>>> rm -f conftest.out conftest.py
>>> if test YES != "$has_pygnome"
>>> then
>>>    { { echo "$as_me:$LINENO: error:
>>> **** The python bindings for gnome 2.0 (gnome-python2) could not be
>>> found." >&5
>>> echo "$as_me: error:
>>> **** The python bindings for gnome 2.0 (gnome-python2) could not be
>>> found." >&2;}
>>>    { (exit 1); exit 1; }; }
>>> fi
>>>
>>> The conftest.py file doesn't exist in the ported version (2.0.10)
>>> or the latest stable version (2.2.6): is it reasonable to expect it
>>> there or should it part of some other tarball?
>>
>> the conftest stuff is not a file, the code is in configure.  If you
>> look around, in configure or config.log, you should find how the
>> check for py-gnome is done.
>>
>> At this point, it might be a good idea to notify the gramps
>> developers.  They are the ones who actually wrote that stuff and
>> developers usually welcome the opportunity to make their software
>> easier to use for everyone.
>>

> The problem here is the "Bus error". It is not a gramps issue. I
> believe that
> the "Bus error" is caused by a problem with gtk2/pygtk2 not gramps.
>
> Try just running python from the command line and 'import gnome/
> import gtk' I
> think that you will find that you get the same 'Bus error'.

I don't have py-gnome but I just tried :

Bilbo:~ yves$ python
Python 2.4.3 (#1, Sep 29 2006, 07:22:43)
 >>> import gtk

(.:845): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
         Using the fallback 'C' locale.
/opt/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:69:
GtkWarning: could not open display
   warnings.warn(str(e), _gtk.Warning)

So i tried in an xterm :

Bilbo:~/Documents/budget yves$ python
Python 2.4.3 (#1, Sep 29 2006, 07:22:43)
 >>> import gtk

(.:861): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
         Using the fallback C locale.

and that's all.  No crash.  But could the problem be solved by
compiling in an xterm instead of a regular Terminal.app ?

yves