The image question

Randall Wood rhwood at mac.com
Fri Mar 9 01:45:44 PST 2007

On 8 Mar 2007, at 22:38, Yves de Champlain wrote:

> Le 07-03-08 à 21:31, Randall Wood a écrit :

>>> I've thought for a while that improving archive mode a little and
>>> deprecating image mode would be a good idea (it's why I patched
>>> upgrade to work with direct+archive mode when it only worked with
>>> image mode before).
>>>
>>> The one thing we would loose is the potential for ports to depend
>>> on a specific version of another port that was installed but not
>>> 'active' (ie, you could have multiple versions of some library
>>> port installed with ports that needed each version linked against
>>> the one they wanted without having to change the normal install
>>> layout of that library). I _think_ this is something that jkh has
>>> wanted ever since images were first implemented.
>>>
>>> It seems to me like this just exponentially increases the
>>> installed system complexities and in the few cases where it would
>>> be very useful to have multiple different library versions
>>> installed, it makes more sense to me to alter the port so they
>>> can both be installed at the same time (like the db43/db44 ports,
>>> for example).
>>>
>>> I think direct + archive mode makes more intuitive sense as well
>>> (and gives us an obvious path to distributing binaries, as we
>>> would eventually just distribute appropriate archives somehow).

>>> I don't think it gets run. (but it has been a while since I looked).
>>>
>>> [g5:~/Projects/macports/dports] dluke% grep -r 'post-activate' .
>>>      144
>>>
>>> ... which isn't too many to look at and change to post-destroot/
>>> post-install if we ever decide to depricate images.
>>
>> A healthy chunk of those are so written because they broke if the
>> port-activate process was run during the destroot or post-install
>> phase. See the long history of problems with scrollkeeper for an
>> example.
>
> Does post-install make any sense at all in image mode ?  Are there
> really issues that must be dealt with after destroot and before
> activation ?  Most of the post-install procedures are ui_msg stuff.

Yes there are. If a build process insists on running some cataloging
utility like scrollkeeper-update in destroot, then the catalogs need
to be removed post-destroot, because you would not want that bad
cataloging data in the archive.

> So could MacPorts have only one finalize procedure that is run
> after install in direct mode and postponed after activation in
> image mode to replace both post-install and post-activate ?

That would be ideal.

> yves

Randall Wood
rhwood at mac.com

"The rules are simple: The ball is round. The game lasts 90 minutes.
All the
rest is just philosophy."