How image installs work [was Re: The image question]

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at brierdr.com
Sat Mar 10 08:33:44 PST 2007

On Mar 10, 2007, at 8:03 AM, Daniel J. Luke wrote:

>> I'm sure you meant that in jest, but actually, that assertion is
>> completely correct.  In order to install all at the same time, we
>> require the user to take the hit of figuring out how to invoke the
>> others.
>
> And any other method of choosing between the two will require the
> user to figure out how to invoke the others as well (it'll just be a
> different way of choosing).

I think you missed my point entirely.  If the notion of activate/
deactivate is part of the "usage ethos" that users are already
comfortable with then they just need to know that things like "gnu
make" and "bsd make" exist as available packages/options.  Either way,
however, it's /usr/bin/make.

>> All casualties of a static namespace.
>
> images doesn't make the namespace dynamic, it just standardizes the
> differentiator into a long/obscure path.

That is incorrect.

- Jordan