Bikeshed! [was: Portfile whitespace issues]

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at brierdr.com
Thu Mar 15 08:49:52 PDT 2007

(ref:  http://www.bikeshed.com/)

I love little discussions like this because:

A) The people involved generally feel very strongly about the issue
in question and get offended when you point out that, in the greater
scheme of things, 6 billion other people could genuinely give a damn
about the issue at all.

B) They eat time and energy far better devoted to issues that some
meaningful fraction of that 6 billion people actually do care about,
thus deferring the need to grapple with problems that are actually
hard to solve.

However:

C) Given the fundamental truth of propositions (A) and (B) (which
even the most passionate participants are aware of, if only
subconsciously), the discussion generally dies unsettled until some
reasonable amount of time passes and it can be "reasonably" revived
again, only to go through the cycle anew.

Therefore, I would like to respectfully suggest that we jump straight
to (C) and simply decide that this has already run its course early
and move on before everyone's mailbox fills up with bikeshed paint. :-)

- Jordan