GTK applications behave weird if locale is set to anything other than "C"

Fri Mar 16 06:56:05 PDT 2007

Hi,

I think we got an interesting fact here:
On my PowerPC MacMini, it works, too, like on your PowerPC Mac.
So the issue might be platform dependent.

The output of locale is as expected, all variables set to
de_DE.UTF-8. locale -a outputs the expected list of supported
locales, which include de_DE.UTF-8.

I had a look at /usr/share/locale, but I can't see anything wrong
here. The LC_COLLATE file is binary, so I have no clue what it means.
But I diffed it against the same file on my PowerPC MacMini, and they
are identical.

Can anyone else with a Intel Mac confirm this behaviour?
Just execute
	export LANG=en_US
	export LC_ALL=en_US
	# start any GTK application, open a file chooser dialog, and check
if the sorting is correct (maybe try it with different directories).

Any ideas on how to proceed?

Thanks
Rolf