rpm won't build

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Mar 17 21:01:20 PDT 2007

On Mar 17, 2007, at 22:42, Keith Irwin wrote:

> I'd like to build some RPMs on my mac for deployment on, well, not
> my mac.  I issued:
>
>  $ sudo port install rpm
>
> and, after some time, got the following.  I'm assuming there's
> something building rpm depends on which is not included in the
> dependency list.
>
> Do I need rpmdav, which doesn't seem to show up on the "port list"
> command?  Is it something else entirely?

[snip]

> rpmdav.c: In function 'davInit':
> rpmdav.c:348: warning: implicit declaration of function
> 'ne_set_persist'
> rpmdav.c: In function 'fetch_destroy_item':
> rpmdav.c:409: warning: implicit declaration of function 'NE_FREE'
> rpmdav.c: In function 'davFetch':
> rpmdav.c:695: warning: passing argument 2 of
> 'ne_propfind_set_private' from incompatible pointer type
> rpmdav.c:695: error: too few arguments to function
> 'ne_propfind_set_private'
> rpmdav.c:697: warning: passing argument 3 of 'ne_propfind_named'
> from incompatible pointer type
> rpmdav.c: In function 'davWrite':
> rpmdav.c:1086: warning: unused variable 'fd'
> rpmdav.c: In function 'avReaddir':
> rpmdav.c:1422: warning: pointer targets in assignment differ in
> signedness
> rpmdav.c: In function 'avOpendir':
> rpmdav.c:1475: warning: pointer targets in assignment differ in
> signedness
> rpmdav.c: In function 'davReaddir':
> rpmdav.c:1546: warning: pointer targets in assignment differ in
> signedness
> rpmdav.c: In function 'davOpendir':
> rpmdav.c:1631: warning: pointer targets in assignment differ in
> signedness
> gnumake[2]: *** [rpmdav.lo] Error 1
> gnumake[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> gnumake: *** [all] Error 2

I searched for the error message you got, and found this thread which
seems relevant:

https://lists.dulug.duke.edu/pipermail/rpm-devel/2006-November/
001838.html

It says the problem exists because rpm 4.4.5 doesn't support neon
0.26.2, but rpm 4.4.6 does. The rpm web site is very confusing to me
and I cannot determine whether rpm 4.4.6 has been released or not.
You may want to get in touch with the maintainer of the rpm port.