Installs dead in the water with MacPorts

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Mar 20 18:30:12 PDT 2007

On Mar 20, 2007, at 18:45, Ken Pettit wrote:

> DEBUG: Assembled command: 'cd "/opt/local/var/db/dports/build/
> _opt_local_var_db_dports_sources_rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate_
> dports_print_freetype/work/freetype-2.1.10" && CPPFLAGS="-I/opt/
> local/include" LDFLAGS="-L/opt/local/lib" ./configure --prefix=/opt/
> local --with-zlib=/opt/local'
> ./builds/unix/configure --prefix=/opt/local --with-zlib=/opt/local

Comparing your output to that on my system, this is the line that
differs. On mine:

DEBUG: Assembled command: 'cd "/opt/local/var/db/dports/build/
_Users_rschmidt_macports_dports_print_freetype/work/freetype-2.1.10"
&& CPPFLAGS="-I/opt/local/include" LDFLAGS="-L/opt/local/lib" ./
configure --prefix=/opt/local --with-zlib=/opt/local'
cd builds/unix; ./configure --prefix=/opt/local --with-zlib=/opt/local

The path to the work area is different because I have my ports tree
in a Subversion working copy in my home directory, but that shouldn't
matter. What's interesting is that on my machine it configures the
unix build by running "cd builds/unix; ./configure" which works, but
yours runs "./builds/unix/configure" which apparently doesn't work. I
don't know why yours does that, however.

The other difference on my system is that the configure script finds /
opt/local/bin/sed while yours finds /usr/bin/sed. On my system, I had
installed the gsed port, which installs /opt/local/bin/gnused, and I
had manually installed a symlink to that at /opt/local/bin/sed. But
even if I remove that symlink, the freetype port installs just fine.

Other difference: I have 10.4.9 now, but that shouldn't matter
either; I first built freetype 2.1.10 several versions of Mac OS X ago.

You do have the latest version of Xcode? 2.4.1?

You are using gcc 4.0.1, aren't you? You haven't used gcc_select to
select an earlier version of gcc?

Have you installed a different make? My make is the one Apple
provides in /usr/bin/make. What does "which make" say for you? What
about "make --version"? Mine's 3.80.