php5 +apache2 +mysql5 does not behave as expected SOLVED

Elise van Looij evlooij at xs4all.nl
Thu Mar 22 09:49:05 PDT 2007

Thank you very much to all who responded, and especially Ryan for his
patience. Once I got my httpd.conf in proper shape, php worked fine,
but mysql didn't. The problem was:

error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/opt/
local/var/run/mysql5/mysqld.sock'

This was a problem others had wrestled with as well, I soon found
out. It turned out I'd made two mistakes when installing mysql: I
hadn't used the +server variant and I hadn't initialized the
database. So I uninstalled php5 and mysql5, reinstalled mysql5
+server and followed the instructions in an old post by Ryan Schmidt
on how install the main db:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.apple.macports.user/619/match=mysql

I then reinstalled php5 +apache2 +mysql5 and now they're all nice to
each other once again.

Elise van Looij