Awk issues: system awk vs [ng]awk in ports

Randall Wood rhwood at mac.com
Thu Mar 22 18:43:39 PDT 2007

On 22 Mar 2007, at 14:50, Vincent Lefevre wrote:

> On 2007-03-22 08:49:24 -0500, Marius Schamschula wrote:
>> Vincent,
>>
>> As the original porter of the gawk and gsed ports, I remember
>> having a
>> lengthy exchange about naming these two ports.
>>
>> Regarding gawk:
>>
>> By default GNU awk is installed as gawk, with awk linking to it:
>>
>> Saturn:/usr/local/bin marius$ ls -l *awk
>> lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel       4 Feb 21  2006 awk -> gawk
>> -rwxr-xr-x   2 root  wheel  803996 Feb 21  2006 gawk
>> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel    3089 Feb 21  2006 igawk
>> -rwxr-xr-x   2 root  wheel  806200 Feb 21  2006 pgawk
>>
>> (Yes, this is not a MacPorts installation...)
>
> Well, the default behavior is OK: The main point is that there is
> a version of the executable without the prefix. And I don't think
> that MacPorts should remove it

Ports that use the autoconf-based configure system seem to be mostly
aware of the potential difference between gawk, mawk, nawk, and awk,
and check to know which one is being used. If an upstream developer
assumes that all awks are like gawk, maybe the port maintainer needs
to submit a bug report helping the developer work around gawk's
extended non-POSIX feature set.