Need Help Making Freeciv Re-distributable

Nathan Brazil nb at saltybanana.com
Thu Mar 22 22:50:48 PDT 2007

Hi.  I am trying to make Freeciv re-distributable (current version is
2.1.0-beta3); that is, making it run w/o having to install MacPorts.

I've had very good success in the past.  But after I upgraded my
ports recently, things stopped working.

After I upgraded my ports and built Freeciv, the games runs fine.  So
there is something amiss w/ what I am doing.  A brief description of
what I do to make Freeciv re-distributable is as follows:

I've copied all the needed binary files to a location other than /opt/
local.  These files have had their dependency paths re-written using
otool and install_name_tool.  I also have made copies of the needed
config files from /opt/local/etc, and have modified them to point
away from /opt/local.  In the launcher script I wrote to start the
game executable, the following environment variables are set for the
dependent ports fontconfig, pango, and gtk2:

FONTCONFIG_FILE
PANGO_RC_FILE
GDK_PIXBUF_MODULE_FILE
GTK_IM_MODULE_FILE

When I run the modified civclient binary via the launcher script, I
get the following messages:

(freeciv:2564): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
         Using the fallback 'C' locale.

(freeciv:2564): Pango-WARNING **: No builtin or dynamically
loaded modules were found. Pango will not work correctly.
This probably means there was an error in the creation of:
   '/opt/local/etc/pango/pango.modules'
You should create this file by running pango-querymodules.

(freeciv:2564): Pango-WARNING **: pango_shape called with bad font,
expect ugly output

(freeciv:2564): Pango-WARNING **: pango_font_get_glyph_extents called
with null font argument, expect ugly output

(freeciv:2564): Pango-WARNING **: pango_font_get_metrics called with
null font argument, expect ugly output

(freeciv:2564): Pango-WARNING **: _pango_cairo_font_install called
with bad font, expect ugly output

The locale warning has been there for a while.  I don't know what it
means, but it has never caused the executable to not work in the
past.  The warnings about Pango are new, though.  Freeciv runs
despite the warnings, but in place of where text should be, each
letter is rendered as a rectangle.

Can someone w/ experience in making binary distributions based on
MacPorts shed some light on my current dilemma?

Thanks!