GTK2 & Cairo "Quartz" Variant

Cédric Luthi cedric.luthi at epfl.ch
Sat Mar 24 01:08:52 PDT 2007

On 23 mars 07, at 16:52, Frank McPherson wrote:

> I was pleased to read about the possibility of running gtk2 apps
> without X11; one of the things that always bugs me about using the
> Gimp is having to click on a window to give it focus, then click
> again on a control in the window, for example the tools palette.

You can enable focus follow mouse for X11. This way, you won't have
to click on a window to give it focus.

defaults write com.apple.x11 wm_ffm -bool true

> Has anyone managed to build gtk2 +quartz atop the new cairo 1.4.2
> +quartz?

Yes, I fixed the problem you mentioned and I recompiled wireshark
with gtk2 +quartz. The result is very far from being usable. You may
have seen this warning if you installed with verbose output:
*** The Quartz backend is still under active development and
*** is included in this release only as a preview. It does not
*** fully work yet and incompatible changes may yet be made
*** to Quartz-backend specific API.

This is very true, all you get is a preview but nothing really
usable! I uninstalled gtk2 + quartz, installed the x11 version and
recompiled wireshark so that I can use it.

If your only concern is the focus follow mouse problem then I
strongly advise to use the x11 preferences solution.

Cheers,

Cédric