"sudo port -d selfupdate" fails to update MacPorts installation

Paulo Moura pmoura at di.ubi.pt
Mon Mar 26 15:03:04 PDT 2007

On 2007/03/26, at 22:37, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>> I know for a fact that portfiles are update in the lat few days.
>> I've no idea why updating is failing your help is appreciated. I'm
>> running the latest version of MacOS X (10.4.9) on a MacBook Pro.
>
> There's nothing wrong here. "sudo port selfupdate" is the same
> thing as "sudo port sync", only that it also updates your base
> MacPorts installation if necessary. MacPorts 1.320 is the latest
> version of MacPorts base, which you already have, so it did not
> update it. And just like "sudo port sync", it has synchronized your
> ports tree. Now you can say things like "port outdated" to see
> which ports might be outdated, and use "sudo port upgrade
> <portname>" to upgrade them.

I'm quite familiar with DarwinPorts/MacPorts and with the semantics
of the commands above. What I find hard to believe is that no
portfile got updated in the last four or five days. E.g. I submitted
an updated portfile for SWI-Prolog that got committed March 20 but so
far the command above failed to retrieve it. I suspect some problem
upstream related to server synchronization.

Thanks anyway for your feedback. All the best,

Paulo

Paulo Jorge Lopes de Moura
Dep. of Computer Science, University of Beira Interior
6201-001 Covilhã, Portugal

Office 4.3  Ext. 3257
Phone: +351 275319891 Fax: +351 275319899
Email: <mailto:pmoura at di.ubi.pt>

Home page: <http://www.di.ubi.pt/~pmoura>
Research: <http://logtalk.org/>